Nanyang Technological University is an internationally reputed research-intensive tertiary institution. Its broad-based education covers science and technology, business and the arts, entrepreneurial and leadership skills to prepare students for the global working world. bNanyang Technological Institute (NTI) was established on the same campus in 1981 with government funding to educate practice-oriented engineers for the burgeoning Singapore economy. In 1991, NTI became Nanyang Technological University with the absorption of the National Institute of Education. The alumni rolls of the former Nanyang University were transferred to NTU in 1996.
Vision and Mission:
Vision: To be a great global university founded on science and technology
Mission: Nurturing creative and entrepreneurial leaders through a broad education in diverse disciplines
- NTU internationally recognised as a modern research-intensive university, with strong technological base and traditions, and a highly rated business school.
One of biggest engineering Colleges in the World now becoming a more comprehensive university
- NTU is one of the biggest engineering Colleges in the World and they are becoming more comprehensive as it has rapidly build up reputation in advanced natural sciences together with an innovative Arts and Humanities capabilities, something rarely found in association with science and technology. In addition, they have one of the region leading Business Schools and Singapore only has School of Communication and Information (media and journalism)
An international university
- Undergraduate student body is predominantly drawn from Singaporean citizens and Permanent Residents, as befits a leading national university, but it also welcomes students from many other countries, especially from the ASEAN region and other parts of Asia.
- At the postgraduate level, the majority of our students come from outside Singapore and we have an international intake of research students
- Our faculty are drawn from over 40 countries worldwide and this produces a diversity of views, backgrounds and cultures , all adding up to a vibrant and stimulating campus
Highly ranked overall as 14 in Asia and 24 worldwide in Business Schools
- NTU is ranked 14th in the first ranking of Asian universities made by the compilers of the Times Higher Education (THE) - QS World University Rankings. In addition, the Nanyang Business School's (NBS)MBA programme has jumped more than 20 places to be ranked 24th among the top MBA programmes worldwide in the Financial Times 2009 Global MBA Rankings, the highest achieved by a Singapore institution so far. This year's ranking places NBS in the league of the elite business schools worldwide.
Location & Facilities
The main campus for NTU is the Yunnan Garden Campus, a beautiful semi-rural and tropical setting in the west of Singapore Island, donated by the Hokkien Clan Association. This more than 200 hectare campus is home not only to the academic complex of the university but also to our students, as we are a largely residential university, as well as many of university staff. NTU also has campus at One North, Singapore, research hub containing Biopolis and Fusionopolis of the A*Star institutes. Additional NTU laboratoies are also being based in Biopolis and NTU will also have a presence in the future CREATE campus.
At One North, the campus houses that Confucius Institute, the EU Centre in Singapore and the NTU Centre for Continuing Education (lifelong learning).There are 16 Halls of Residence that are home to some 9200 students.All halls are co-ed by floor or wing and offer single and double occupancy rooms. Double rooms are shared by residents of the same gender. Rooms are fully furnished. There are phone jacks and internet connections in each room.
Every hall has communal facilities like television rooms, air-conditioned reading rooms, kitchenettes and laundry rooms with washing machines.
List of Departments / Schools / Faculty / College
Since 2007, under President Su Guaning, NTU has adopted a Provost system for the management of academic matters. The first Provost of NTU is Professor Bertil Andersson, a world leading biochemist and formerly Chief Executive of the European Science Foundation and Rector of Linking University in Sweden. He is a currently a Trustee of the Nobel Foundation and former Chair of its Chemistry Committee.
Provost Anderson is supported by two Associate Provosts, Professor Er Meng Hwa, Senior Associate Provost in charge of undergraduate education, and Professor Lam Khin Yong, who looks after graduate education and special projects.
The university is structured under four broadly based Colleges:
Humanities , Arts & Social Sciences
Alongside them NTU have the autonomous institutes:
- National Institute of Education (NIE) a centre of excellence in all aspects of education
- Rajaratnam School of Strategic and International Studies (RSIS), one the World foremost graduate schools specialsing in security and terrorism studies; and
- Earth Observatory of Singapore (EOS), a new and highly regarded centre for Earth sciences serving as a regional focus for tectonics and volcanology with some of the foremost researchers in the World on its staff.
New pan-university strategic platforms have also been created
- Institute for Media Innovation for interactive digital media;
- Nanyang Environment and Water Research Institute (NEWRI) in all aspects of water technologies; and ERI@N, which brings together all NTU diverse research into energy.
||Name of the program
||Arts&Design/ media communication
Scholarships n recognition of academic excellence and leadership potential, NTU offers a variety of scholarships to graduate and undergraduate students in NTU. Scholarships are generally awarded to students based on academic merit and good co-curricular records.
Universities generally have only one intake August. And for some programmes NTU has january intake.
Click here to Download Application form