Singapore is a modern, vibrant nation with an excellent educational system, providing numerous opportunities for internationals who wish to study abroad. Education is a priority in Singapore and the nation is recognized as a ‘global schoolhouse’. A strong emphasis on education started when the British-based education system was introduced by Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles (founder of the Singapore Institution, now known as the Raffles Institution) in 1823. Today Singapore is one of the leaders in higher education both in Asia and Worldwide.
Singapore prides itself in maintaining high standards of teaching and learning, as well as scientific research. Another great thing that makes Singaporean higher education stand out is the strong links with industry; as a student you will be able to gain practical experience and find employment more easily in your chosen field.
Singapore is a modern city state with excellent opportunities for education and work. Many global reports show that Singapore is one of the world’s leaders in innovation and research, which in turn makes its institutions of higher education attractive locations for all prospective international students.
Why Study in Singapore?
- Singapore is ranked first worldwide for the ease of doing business by the World Bank for 2012, consecutively for 7 years.
- Provides quality education
- Multicultural and a bi-lingual society.
- Easy assimilation into Singapore Culture – EAST and WEST.
- A safe society – world’s lowest crime rate at Multi-cultural Society.
- Economy is growing, about 5 – 7% for the next 5 years generating 450,000 jobs.
- Singapore government, open door policy in attracting foreign talent.
- Singapore ranked 2nd out of 144 countries in the Global Information Technology Report 2014 by the World Economic Forum.
- Global business hub: Singapore is consistently acknowledged to be a global business hub with its developed infrastructure, political stability and open business policy. More than 7000 MNC alongside 100000 small and medium enterprises have set up their base in Singapore with many choosing Singapore as their regional hub and launch pad to dynamic market of Asia.
- Singapore is well connected via sea, air and telecommunication to all parts of the world.
- The major intake month for the government university in Singapore is August and few courses have February intake.
- The polytechnics have April and September intake.
- Private education organization have multiple intake (January, February, July, August, September, October, and many more).
- The Public University require SAT at under graduate level.
- The Private University require 1st class in 10th & 12th with IELTS of 6.0 is mandatory if the medium of instructions is not in English in 11th &12th standard.
- Public University MBA or other Masters course would require GMAT or GRE depending upon the course.
- Private University good bachelor’s degree with IELTS of 6.0 is mandatory if medium of instruction is not in English for their bachelor’s degree and GMAT is required depending on the shortlist Universities.
Top 5 UG Courses in Singapore:
- Business Programs (Business Management, Marketing, Accounting, Finance, Economics, etc).
- Interior design
- Fine Art
- Tourism and Hospitality
Top 5 PG Courses in Singapore
- Masters in Business Administration
- Masters in Finance
- Masters in Hospitality and tourism
- Masters in Information technology.
- Master of Global Business
Top 6 Universities for UG & PG Courses in Singapore
- Singapore Management University
SMU is home to about 7,000 students and comprises six schools: the School of Accountancy; Lee Kong Chian School of Business; School of Economics; School of Information Systems; School of Law; and School of Social Sciences. SMU offers six bachelor's degree programmes in Accountancy, Business Management, Economics, Information Systems Management, Law, and Social Sciences.
- LASALLE College of the Arts
Founded in 1984 by De La Salle educator, Brother Joseph McNally, LASALLE College of the Arts is a specialist tertiary institution leading contemporary arts education in fine art, design, media and performing arts in the Asia Pacific LASALLE offers the most comprehensive range of 26 diploma and degree awards in design, fine arts, film, media arts, fashion, dance, music, theatre, art history, art therapy and arts management in the region. As an accredited institution of The Open University, the United Kingdom’s largest university, the undergraduate and postgraduate programmes offered by LASALLE are benchmarked against the best universities in the UK, making them internationally recognised and equivalent to UK MA, BA (Hons) and DipHE qualifications.
- German Institute of Science & Technology
TUM Asia - Pioneering the globalization of German university education, in 2001, TUM chose the Republic of Singapore as its strategic partner to initiate the first German academic venture abroad. German Institute of Science and Technology - TUM Asia ("TUM Asia") was established as a 100 % subsidiary of TUM, offering various joint master degree programmes in close collaboration with Singapore´s leading universities the National University of Singapore ("NUS"), the Nanyang Technological University ("NTU") hence supported by numerous industry partners e.g. Infineon, Texas Instruments , Siemens. GIST-TUM Asia runs selective TUM Master and /or Bachelor of Science programmes.
- S P Jain School of Global Management
S P Jain School of Global Management is an Australian business school with campuses in Sydney, Mumbai, Singapore and Dubai. The school offers undergraduate and graduate/postgraduate business courses.
For the last 5 of its 11 years history, S P Jain has been ranked among the world’s top schools. In 2015, the School has been ranked #10 in the Best International Business School by Forbes for its one-year MBA program. In 2013 – 14, it was ranked in the Top 20 Best International Business Schools by Forbes. And in 2011 and 2012, UK’s Financial Times ranked the Global MBA in its Top 100 Global MBA rankings. S P Jain is the youngest business school to be in these prestigious rankings and attributes its success to its innovative education model.
- National University of Singapore
The National University of Singapore is Singapore's oldest university. It is the largest university in the country in terms of student enrolment and curriculum offered. The National University of Singapore was formed with the merger of the University of Singapore and Nanyang University in 1980.
- Nanyang Technological University
Nanyang Technological University is an internationally reputed research-intensive tertiary institution. Its broad-based education covers science and technology, business and the arts, entrepreneurial and leadership skills to prepare students for the global working world. bNanyang Technological Institute (NTI) was established on the same campus in 1981 with government funding to educate practice-oriented engineers for the burgeoning Singapore economy. In 1991, NTI became Nanyang Technological University with the absorption of the National Institute of Education. The alumni rolls of the former Nanyang University were transferred to NTU in 1996.
- The visa process of Singapore doesn’t involve any interviews or going to visa officers.
- The visa application form is to be filled by the student and given to the university; the university applies for the student visas.
- In this process, the student needs to fill visa form 16A and form 36.
All Singapore universities provide visa form to the student after the student accepts the offer letter and the makes the 1st instalment payment.
Usually the scholarship is provided to the students with exceptional academic records. There are private universities in Singapore who would conduct scholarship test in different parts of the world to offer scholarship to potential and deserving students, based on their capabilities and skill.
We at Edwise streamline and personalize the process for each student irrespective of the destination, institution, course or any level of study. Our team of experienced professionals will provide you individual attention and exceptional guidance throughout your process of application. We provide assistance related to course selections, admission, visa, bank-loan and scholarships. We also host University delegates for direct student interaction and all these services are provided free of cost. We have established since 1991 and have been maintaining strong networks with over 575 universities in 16 countries, hence giving us a unique insight into the finest educational establishments worldwide.
Start your education in Singapore with valuable information on everything you need to know about studying abroad from study permits, temporary resident visas and how much it costs, to finding a program.
Do visit your nearest Edwise branch & choose your university carefully under our expert guidance and ensure that you have all your paperwork in order. Once you apply, and the wait is over, you can really begin to look forward to not only studying in a beautiful and vibrant country, but also to a life experience quite like no other.
For complete details on Courses in Singapore, Contact us on 1-800-200-3678 / 08600911333.