The test of English as a Foreign Language is used to measure English language proficiency. If you are applying to a College or University where English is the language of instruction, your TOEFL scores will help determine whether your English skills are suitable for the program you wish to study. The TOEFL is administered in more than 180 countries, making it the most accessible test in the world.
The Listening section will test you on your ability to understand spoken English in Colleges and Universities. On the Listening section, you will have either a conversation on college campus or a lecture in a college classroom. Each conversation or lecture is between three to six minutes long. There are 6 or 9 prompts in the Listening section with 5-6 questions after each prompt. The Listening section has an experimental section, so if you are presented with 9 prompts only 6 of them will be graded, ensure that you do your best on all 9 because you will not know which of them will be graded.
On the TOEFL, you will only hear the passage; you won't be able to read a transcript, so be attentive while listening to the audio. Here's how you can listen strategically:
- Listen effectively and take notes, it is important that you understand the overall idea of the conversation
- Do not write down everything that you hear, you don't want to lose track of the conversation because you're concerned with the specifics of the lecture
- In addition to listening to the content, focus on the structure of the conversation
- Notice the way each speaker talks. Voice modulation plays a very vital role in listening. You will be able to make out what the speaker is saying, by focusing on his pitch. Once you figure this out, you will be able to have a better understanding of the lecture
- Pay attention to signal words and transitions. Transition words, like 'next' or 'finally,' can help you figure out where you are in the passage.
- Listening to English news can also help you improve your listening skills on the TOEFL. This will help increase your listening capability too
- Look online for academic lectures. This will prove useful on the TOEFL. The lectures presented on the TOEFL exam are lectures that would typically be heard by freshmen or sophomore students at a University, familiarise yourself with the structure and language
Salient Features of TOEFL training at Edwise
- 30 hours of intensive and comprehensive training
- Barron's TOEFL, a standard book for TOEFL issued as courseware
- Faculty trained by ETS
- Maximum 10-15 students per batch, thus making sessions personalized
- Teaching pedagogy involves a strong focus on enhancing the performance in all facets of the test Reading, Listening, Speaking and Writing
- Guiding students with approach towards different question types, and providing sufficient practice in all areas of the test
- Qualified, experienced and trained faculties
- 5 full-length mock tests
- Well stocked library
- Facility of home issuance of book
- Availability of weekdays (Tuesday- Friday, 2 hours per day) and Weekend Batches (Saturday- Sunday, 4 hours per day) under regular mode
- Availability of Fast Track Mode (Tuesday- Sunday, 4 hours per day) for people who want to complete the course at the earliest
- Facility of shifting to any branch throughout India
What Edwise Students studying TOEFL says…?
“It was important that I was well versed with the actual pattern and duration of the test. Edwise provided me with the experience on how a real test would be conducted. The guidelines and suggestions provided by my faculty helped me, and I improved with each class. By the end of my course, I was more than confident to give the test.”
Sagar Kadam- TOEFL Coaching
“My experience with Edwise was amazing. The trainers were really helpful and supportive. The tips given by my faculty helped me in Speaking and Writing, which were my weaker sections. I learnt how important it is to pace oneself when giving an exam like TOEFL.”
Ritika Nayak- TOEFL Coaching
“Edwise is unique, because up until now, I have been groomed to study in a group. But here at Edwise, the faculties help us improve by giving us personalised attention. The input and advice given by the faculty surely helps us learn better and efficiently.”
Rohit Taparia- TOEFL Coaching
“Edwise has been my guide, counselor and pillar of support throughout my TOEFL preparation. The techniques taught helped me score well. It's not just the techniques that make it all worth it. It's the encouragement given by the faculties and their desire and drive to help you at all times that adds to the value of the program”
Scarlet Dias- TOEFL Coaching
Overseas Education Consultant
We at Edwise streamline and personalize the process for each student irrespective of the destination, institution, course or any level of study. Our team of experienced professionals will provide you individual attention and exceptional guidance throughout your process of application. We provide assistance related to course selections, admission, visa, bank-loan and scholarships. We also host University delegates for direct student interaction and all these services are provided free of cost. We have established since 1991 and have been maintaining strong networks with over 575 universities in 16 countries, hence giving us a unique insight into the finest educational establishments worldwide.
Start your education overseas with valuable information on everything you need to know about studying abroad from study permits, temporary resident visas and how much it costs, to finding a program.
Do visit your nearest Edwise branch & choose your university carefully under our expert guidance and ensure that you have all your paperwork in order. Once you apply, and the wait is over, you can really begin to look forward to not only studying in a beautiful and vibrant country, but also to a life experience quite like no other.
For complete information on Studying Overseas, Contact Edwise on 1-800-200-3678 (Toll Free) / 08600911333.